Great news! Canada’s Wonderland has revealed the Classic Funnel Cake with Strawberry Sauce recipe! Executive Chef Dilup Attygalla just gave us a beautiful gift. He’s pared down the park recipe into one that can be used at home so that we can all make it! Without further ado, here’s the recipe:
Makes 3-4 large funnel cakes, or 5-7 small ones. Safety note: please keep children away from stovetop and hot oil.
Make strawberry sauce first and store in a refrigerator.
- 250g Frozen Strawberries
- 1 L + 30 ml water
- 100g strawberry Jam
- 200g sugar
- 50g strawberry glaze (optional)
- 2 tsp strawberry extract
- 2 tbsp red food colouring
- 56g modified corn starch (clear gel) – (if not available can be replaced with corn starch; adjust amount as per packaging instructions for 30 ml of water)
- In a thick-bottom pot bring 1 L water to boil.
- Add sugar, strawberry jam, strawberry glaze, red food colouring and bring to boil on medium heat.
- Mix modified corn starch (Clear Gel) – (if not available can be replaced with corn starch) and mix with 30 ml water.
- Pour modified corn starch mixture slowly into the boiling strawberry jam-strawberry glaze mixture while stirring.
- Make sure no lumps in it. Bring to boil, add strawberry extract and mix. Turn off the heat.
- Place frozen strawberries in a heat-proof container. Pour boiling mixture over the frozen strawberries and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator until strawberries are thawed. Mix gently before you serve it with funnel cakes.
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 250ml 2% milk
- 250ml water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g all-purpose flour
- 52g sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Oil for deep frying (enough to cover funnel cake)
- Confectionery (Icing) sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients eggs, milk, water and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Slowly combine dry ingredients into wet until completely mixed and there are no lumps. Do not over mix and make sure mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into a pitcher or squeeze bottle.
- In a thick-bottom pot, heat oil to 375°F.
- Test oil by dropping a small spoonful of batter in oil. If it rises to surface quickly, oil is ready.
- Hold the jug or squeeze bottle with the funnel cake mixture 3-4 inches above the oil (wear an oven mitt for safety).
- Pour about 1 cup funnel cake mixture in a spiral motion.
- With a slotted spoon carefully fry each side about 2 minutes until golden brown. (Be careful not to splash hot oil)
- Remove funnel cake and drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Place warm funnel cake on a plate, pour about 2 spoons (or more as desired) of strawberry sauce over, sprinkle confectionery sugar and serve.
- If available, can be served with vanilla ice cream.