CLICK HERE TO READ THE UPDATED POSTÂ Â
Let theÂ Canadian iPod craze begin!Â
CLICK HERE TO READ THE UPDATED POSTÂ
Thanks a bunch AlexElder for allowing me to post your stunning article! Iâ€™m so grateful for your help 🙂
Yes yes yes you smart Canucks out there! TD Bank are once again giving out free iPod Nanos and iPod Shuffles starting on the 29th May, 2006. Read AlexElder’s awesome guideÂ below for all the details.
” Hello everyone,
Just to clarify, the promotion will be for a shuffle and there IS a way to upgrade to a NANO.
More later on specific details and on Sizes of Ipods etc…
Ok everyone, I will now hopefully officially answer everyones questions or concerns. Promo Starts May 29th – July?(i will fill this in tomorrow)
You have to be 19(in ontario, not sure if its different in other provinces)
It is open for existing TD Canada Trust Clients. Head to the bottom of the post to find out how.
Call ahead and make an appointment if you can to avoid wait times.
Expect to spend about 10-20 minutes in the TDCT bank if you are an existing TD Client.
Expect to spend about 20-30 minutes in the TDCT bank if you are not an existing TD Client.
Add on an extra 15-20 minutes if you dont have enough credit to warrant a preapproval.
This is the promotion as it stands:
To obtain an Ipod Shuffle
1)Transfer over a bank account from another institution using the EasySwitch program offered by TD Canada Trust.
2)Set up(or have already in place) One of the following:
- 1 Direct Deposit. Any external deposit to the account which is electronically credited to a customer’s account on a weekly, bi-monthly or on a monthly basis (quarterly or annual credits do not count as regular deposits)Now in regards to the Direct Deposit and their restrictions
Payroll deposits can be transferred over by the easyswitch program, but can sometimes be faster if you transfer it over yourself.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Government Direct deposits CAN NOT be transferred over due to privacy regulations. Monthly Gov credits do qualify, so Child tax benefit, CPP, OAS should be fine.
From what we learned last year, GST credits ended up working as direct deposits for a lot of people, but that could have been a glitch in the system. That may or may not have been ironed out this time.
Short term direct deposits like WSIB or EI should work as well as long as they don’t end before you get your Ipod.
- 2 Pre-Authorized Debits(PAD’s) This includes automatic bill payments registered with outside companies as well as TD Mortgage, Loan, VISA or LOC PADs. Pre-authorized transfers or PTS do not qualify. This means setting up an automatic transfer from a chq to sav account every month does NOT work
To obtain an Ipod NANO
You must do part 1 and either part 2a or 2b from the above Ipod shuffle deal.
You must also be approved for a TD Travel or Elite Visa. They have to be Brand New Visa’s. If you already have a Gold Visa, you can try to apply for another one. Both are minimum $5000. The Travel Visa has a $120 annual fee and the Elite have a $99 annual fee. If you want more info on the 2 Visa cards head over here.
It says that you have to have a minimum annual income but that is usually never taken into account. A lot of credit products say that, but it all depends on your credit expenses vs your income + your credit score which is actually weighed a lot more heavily.
The annual fees see steep but there are ways around them. More on that later.
Once you step into a TD and get everything set up, you can ask the Financial Service Rep(FSR) or Financial Advisor(FA) who is helping you to check if you are pre-approved for a GOLD visa for the program. If you are not pre-approved, then you have to do a full application which takes about 10-20 minutes and gets approved or declined within 2 days.
Now here are a few VERY important things to remember:
- DO NOT CLOSE your account from the other bank by yourself. It HAS to be closed by the easyswitch process.
- Bring your other bank account number to TD when you start the easyswitch process
- Your PAD’s or Direct Deposits can be existing or brand new so if you still have your account from the last ipod promo all you have to do is transfer over an account again(for the shuffle) and get the visa(for the nano)
- You can be a new or existing TD Canada Trust Client
- All fees charged due to the switch are paid by TD Canada Trust, so dont worry about the early close fees for those of you heading to PC to open up a new account.
- A phone appointment will be set up for you to do the actual switch from the other bank to TD. You get to choose the time and date, but it has to be at least 2 business days from when you go into TD and there are 2 hour time windows you have to be available for the call.
- When they call you will have to have your account info for both accounts handy. If you are getting the easyswitch people to transfer over your PAD or direct deposits, then you need to have those numbers on hand as well.
- It takes 4-6 weeks for the ipod to arrive, but if everything is the same as last year then it should arrive a lot quicker.
- Once your easyswitch call is placed, your other bank is notified and you have a Direct Deposit or 2 PAD’s lodged, your account will be flagged and your Ipod will be on its way.
What about the fees from the Gold Visa cards???
Here is the “loophole” around paying such a high amount.
- Open or change(if you have a preferred account read below) your account into the Select Service account. It has a fee of $24.95 but it waives the annual fees on the Gold Visa Cards regardless of the balance you carry in it. Make sure you mention that to your FSR or FA. They need to inform Visa to waive the fee as per your account plan.
- If you have $5000 or more you donâ€™t have to worry about the $24.95 monthly fee. You must carry a balance of $5000 or more for the entire month.
- Once you have received your ipod
- Downgrade your account to a lower charging account or close it, So preferably go into a TD in the beginning of a month to lower the chances of it overlapping 2 Month charge periods
- Change your visa to a GOLD Select Visa or any other non annual fee Visa card or just close it as well.***NEW***There is an early closing fee in the range of 20-40 if you close your account before 90 days. I will clarify the exact amount tomorrow. If you downgrade your account to wait out the 90 days, the lowest charging account is the value account. $3.95 a month, $1000 balance in it to waive the $3.95
***NEW***Make sure you do these last two steps in the correct order. If your Select Service account is not there to waive your Gold Travel/Elite fees, you may or may not get charged them.
- Wear your Nano Proudly that you got for $0-$24.95(if done correctly and all goes well)
- ***NEW*** If you have a “Preferred” account plan, I would suggest you open a second account solely for this promotion. The preferred is one of the best accounts you can have and once it is changed from it, you can not change it back to a preferred.
So as you can see The Nano could be free, minus the interest you would gain on $5000 for 1-2 months. I calculated that to be roughly $14-$17 a month depending on the interest rate (3.5%-4% being generous with those rates) you could be getting on an open investment product.
Or you could get a Nano for as low as $24.95. It requires a little work, but if your credit is good and don’t mind the work, I Still consider this a HOT deal. Even if I didnâ€™t work there. Id rather go through all of this to get a nano!
If you have any more questions or concerns please post or PM me. The thread is already getting very large so it might be best to PM me.
Good luck everyone!
Clarification on how to get the Nano TOTALLY “Free”. Not taking into account the interest that could be earned over a 90 day period which can greatly differ depending on how fast you get your ipod. You could be loosing less than $20 in interest.
-Get your TD Gold Travel/Elite fee waived by opening/upgrading to a Select Service chequing accoung
-Get your Select service fee waived by keeping $5000 in the account until you recieve your ipod.
-Downgrade your Visa or simply close it
-Downgrade to a value account
-Get your Value account fee waived by keeping $1000 in your account
-After 90 days you are free to close you account if you want to without any early closing fees.
Here is a mini guide to getting a Nano for existing TDCT customers
- Open an account at another bank
- Head over to TDCT with the bank info from that account you just opened at another bank.
- Do a BOAT of that account you just opened by easyswitch to your existing TDCT account.
- Apply for a NEW TD Gold Elite/Travel Visa(you can still do this if you have an existing TD visa)
- Upgrade your TDCT account to a Select Service account to waive the Visa annual Fees
- You will now have to pay $24.95 for your chequing account unless you have $5000 in it to waive the monthly fee
- make sure you meet one of the following criteria.
- 1 Direct Deposit(can be existing)
- 2 PAD’s(can be existing)
- Once you get your ipod you can change everything back to normal if you want.
If you have an account that got you an Ipod shuffle from last years promotion and nothing has changed regarding the PAD’s or Direct deposits you can simple do a new Easy Switch and Apply for a new TD Gold Elite/Travel Visa. You will still have to up grade your account if you want to avoid the Visa Fees.”
P.S. You might want to put a (sans spaces, of course) tag somewhere after the introduction to keep the homepage a bit cleaner.
Oops, just realized I put the spaces in the wrong place….
grrr…….ok, let’s just call it the button beside the insert image button that is not the unlink button on the post/edit page. Sorry about that.
Thanks nolookingca 🙂
ok, so here’s what i’m going to do. Tell me if it’s right for the ipod nano!! sorry, i don’t know how to PM you. do you have an email? Here goes: I’m going to open an account at BMO and put 5 grand in it. and I’m going to get my work to start direct depositing my checks monthly. And for the preauthorized debits…. can I use my student loans as that? they are authorized to take money out of my CIBC account at the end of every month. Then I’m going to go over to TD and get them to switch my BMO account. and then i’m going to ask to be signed to an elite visa account (am i supposed to ask for a gold visa?)
and the fee waving part for the visa is a little confusing for me. After I get the ipod, I’m supposed to tell them to change the visa to a select service account, right? and then once i get the ipod, i can close the account down and i should tell them to switch the visa to a no annual charge account- the Gold Select visa (haven’t i already done this when i tell them to switch it to a select service account?). and then wait 90 days to cancel the visa. and that’s everything right. I hope this makes sense and sorry for the long post!!
First of all, as I understand it, you need ONE direct deposit OR two pre-auth debit. So your paycheque is enough.
If you have some extra cash here’s what I suggest you do:
1) Open the cheapest account at BMO, put the minimum in to waive the monthly fee. If you don’t have the extra cash, get an account from PC Financial.
2) Open a SELECT account at TD. Put 5k in it.
3) You can setup the monthly debits/deposits at either BMO or TD. (My paranoid brain tells me to set it up at TD just in case it doesn’t automatically transfer over from BMO) You need either one direct deposit or two PADs. You have your paycheque, so that’s good enough.
4) Apply for a GOLD ELITE visa at TD.
5) When the promo officially starts, use TD’s “EasySwitch” service to automatically close your BMO account and move everything to TD. Do NOT close the BMO account yourself.
6) Wait for your Nano. When it arrives, you can downgrade the visa and account if you don’t want to keep 5000 in a chequing account. Be sure to downgrade/cancel the Visa FIRST. However, if you do have an extra 5k that you don’t mind not investing in something, the select account is a very nice plan.
P.S. The reason I suggest you get a select account before you do the EasySwitch is that it might take a while and you don’t want them charging you the monthly fee.
P.P.S. Don’t cancel your TD account until after 3 months to prevent the closure fee. Downgrade to a value account (1k min to waive fee) if you don’t want 5k sitting around getting almost 0 interest.
For the downgrading Visa thing, if you don’t want it, you can always just cancel it. I don’t think you have to downgrade it first.
ok, so what they do is just close the bmo or pc one and then they just add it to the pre-existing td account rite? and to receive the nano, don’t you have to have 1 direct deposit and one option from number 2… a preauthorized debit from the account? thanks for all of your help!!!
No, it’s EITHER one direct deposit OR two PAD’s. What do you mean by options in number two?
” 2. 2 Pre-Authorized Debits(PADâ€™s) This includes automatic bill payments registered with outside companies as well as TD Mortgage, Loan, VISA or LOC PADs. Pre-authorized transfers or PTS do not qualify. This means setting up an automatic transfer from a chq to sav account every month does NOT work”
Where are the options?
“To obtain an Ipod NANO
You must do part 1 and either part 2a or 2b from the above Ipod shuffle deal.”
^ this is where I’m getting it from. So do I only need a direct deposit to get an ipod nano? Thanks for all of your help!!
Yeah, the numbers are kind of confusing. One = EasySwitch, 2a= DD 2b= PAD. AFAIK, a direct deposit is enough.
P.S. Boo, *cough*alexupdatedhispostabitithink*cough*
Thanks for your help nolookingca explain the unclear parts
lol… no he didn’t. Raed the last edited date at the bottom
BTW, I just realized it has to be a NEW visa, so don’t apply until the promo starts.
boo, why did you change 2a and 2b to 21 and 22 anyways? I think that was why I thought he updated it.
nolookingca, I didn’t change it. I guess the number got all mixed up. Can you modify posts you haven’t written? If you can’t please let me know and I’ll promote your wordpress status so that you can edit all posts.
Nope, only my own posts.
ok, I changed you to editor now so you can publish posts, manage posts as well as manage other people’s posts, etc. 🙂
P.S. I’ve noticed that a couple of my comments that you deleted are in the moderation section. Notice the delete comment button below the “approved, moderated, spam” selector.
P.P.S. Hope you don’t mind, but I’ve also taken the liberty of deleting everything akismet caught.
thanks for all thr info guys!! I was just wondering if it is okay to talk to the TD guy about all this when opening the account or should it all be kept top secret?!! thanks!!
Of course it’s ok!!
In fact I went to TD last week, told them I’m interested in the iPod offer, prepared (but not processed) everything with them and took an appointment for the 29th May. On the 29th I’ll just go in and finish everything off 🙂
but… first of all you have to open an account at another bank
[…] In my opinion, this is the hottest deal/freebie around! For our new SmartCanucks.ca visitors and for those who missed the free iPod shuffle or iPod Nano from TDBank post here isÂ the link to that post. Published by Boo Radley May 24th, 2006 in Canadian Deals, Tips & Tricks, Canadian Freebies […]
Which nano? The 1 gb? I want the 4gb – a way to upgrade?
Nope. I believe they’re giving a white 1GB Nano, possibly with the TD logo.
this offer should be available to teenagers too. We have money too, and we want to be able to put it in your bank. But if there is nothing for us, than why should we? All i’m saying is that this is very unfair! Kids are mostly the ones listening to ipods and stuff. So pleeeeeeeeeeezzzz! change this rule, to at least 13 or 14 year olds. Thanx shauna
6 Elgin street New Lowell ontario. L0M 1N0
First of all, do I look like a bank to you?
Second of all, do you always post your address online? Real smart of ya.
Thirdly, what on earth could possibly possess you to write like that? Lucky you aren’t getting marked on it….
P.S. “Teenagers have money too”? Are you kidding me?
Hey, Just wanted to let you know that the TD Visa does NOT have to be new. I have had a TD Gold Elite Visa since January 2006, and I will be receiving an IPod in the next couple of weeks.
So, if you have a TD Gold Visa and are disappointed because of what was posted above fear not! As long as you have a TD Gold Visa you can get an IPod Nano it doesn’t matter when you received it.
It is coming again
TD just relaunched the 2007 iPod offer. There is also a chance to win free iTunes. https://www.tdswitch.com/5/
so do you actually have to qualify for the visa, or applying enough?
arizona free credit report…
arizona free credit report…